Celebrating Student Success:
Skagit Valley College held its 91st Annual Commencement on June 15th in the Dave DuVall Pavilion on the Mount Vernon Campus.
Carolyn Dorothy (Camano Island) Allied Health instructor, received the 2018 Teacher of the Year Award. This annual award is voted on and bestowed by the SVC student body and recognizes a faculty member for outstanding teaching in the classroom. In the nominations by students, Carolyn was recognized for being very responsive to her students and dedicated to their academic success.
SVC President Dr. Tom Keegan presented the Associated Students of Skagit Valley College Gavel Award to ASSVC Mount Vernon President Flor Zamorano (Mount Vernon). Flor is a graduate of Mount Vernon High School and was involved in many campus activities during her studies at SVC. She was a founding member of the DREAMers Club, served on college committees, and was involved in many student clubs. In addition, she was a finalist for the Charles H. Lewis Memorial Award. Flor will pursue a degree in Political Science, followed by a Masters in Teaching.
About the Class of 2018: There were 1,756 degrees, certificates, and diplomas awarded district-wide:
- 787 Academic Degrees
- 813 Professional/Technical Degrees and Certificates
- 129 high school diplomas, including 50 from the High School 21+ program
- 10 Baccalaureate of Applied Science in Environmental Conservation degrees
- 90 Running Start students
- 71 International students graduated from 10 countries: China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Nepal, Nigeria, Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Additional facts about the Class of 2018:
- 26 students received the President’s Medal
- The age of SVC graduates this year ranged from 16 – 68