Skagit Valley College Skagit/Islands Head Start announces new program options that will begin in September in Mount Vernon. Head Start offers free educational and family services to pregnant women and eligible children age 0 to 5. Families must be income or categorically eligible. The new program options in Mount Vernon are as follows:
- Full-day programming will be added in Mount Vernon.
- Child and Family Learning Center, (CFLC) 1919 N. La Venture Road, across the street from SVC’s Mount Vernon Campus, Head Start will offer two preschool classes that will run from 8:45 am to 2:45 pm, Monday through Friday, on a 10-month schedule aligned with the Mount Vernon School District calendar.
- A new center at Madison Elementary, 907 E. Fir Street, will house two existing
nine-month, part-day programs, 3.5 hours, Monday through Thursday.
- The center at Washington Elementary, 1020 McLean Road, will operate a six-hour preschool class, from 9:15 am to 3:15 pm, Monday through Friday, on a 10-month schedule aligned with the Mount Vernon School District calendar.
- In addition, the center at Washington Elementary, will house an Early Head Start Toddler Classroom that will offer a 6.25-hour class, full-year, Monday through Friday from 9:05 am to 3:20 pm.
- The full-day program will prioritize Skagit Valley College students and working parents to better support their needs.
- A new center at Madison Elementary, 907 E. Fir Street, will house two existing nine-month, part-day programs, 3.5 hours, Monday through Thursday.
All Skagit/Islands Head Start centers are currently accepting application for the 2017-2018 program year beginning in September. Offerings include:
- Home-based services for pregnant women and children to age three.
- Early Head Start combination models with classes two days a week and home visits at Whidbey Early Head Start by Oak Harbor Elementary School; Pacific Place Head Start at 320 Pacific Place in Mount Vernon; Westview Elementary School in Burlington; and Good Beginnings in Sedro-Woolley.
- Preschool classes, 9 months, Monday through Thursday for 3 ½ hours—located with West View Elementary in Burlington, Concrete Elementary, Evergreen Elementary School in
Sedro-Woolley, Pacific Place in Mount Vernon, Rosewood Preschool (coordinated with SPARC) in Mount Vernon, Hand-in-Hand Learning Center in Oak Harbor, and in Friday Harbor at the Friday Harbor Elementary School.
Applications can be submitted online, www.sihs.skagit.edu and are available at the Skagit/Islands Head Start office, 320 Pacific Place, Mount Vernon.
For more information, the central office number is (360) 416-7590 ext. 100.